Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cooking 101

Brian and I have talked about starting a tradition of homemade pizza and a movie night. We have done it just the two of us, but this time I thought about letting Kaylee help with the pizza. Kaylee and I decided we would surprise Brian this time with the pizza. Kaylee loved making it (and eating it).
We usually make our own pizza crust, but for the sake of time this time, I had bought a crust from Aldi's (I will not do that again). I have used Walmarts pizza crust and it is good, this one did not work very well.
Kaylee enjoyed trying to roll it out.
Time for sauce. We used barbecue sauce since we are making a hawaiin barbecue chicken pizza for daddy.
Now add the green peppers:

and onion. If you don't like touching the onions, just dump them on using the cutting board.

Enjoy eating the green peppers off of the pizza when you think mom is not looking: Sometime in there, add some pineapple and eat that too. Not sure how much actually made it on the pizza, I eventually had to move the pizza away if we wanted anything to be on the pizza in the end.
Time for the chicken:

Don't forget the cheese. She is banging it on the counter to break it up since I forgot to thaw it out during the day.


Now this point you would have preheated your oven and would be ready to bake it. WELL, when I started this, I had every intention of doing that. While she was putting on the cheese, I went into the kitchen to turn the oven on, only to discover, I forgot we don't have an oven right now. OOOPS. So, I tried to call a neighbor to see if I could borrow theirs, to no success. So, I baked it on the grill. Worked pretty well to just bake it on the pizza stone right on the grill:) Another note: this may have been something to start when we our dining room table is not in the living room. We have quite a mess under the table - on the carpet.
And the finished product. Not the prettiest product, but Kaylee had so much fun with it. Brian really enjoyed it but Kaylee filled up on the making of the pizza that she didn't eat much of the finished product.

2 comments:

Grandma Pat said...

Your pizza project looks like so much fun. Forget the mess, it is the memories that are great. You are a wonderful Mommy.

Anonymous said...

such cute pictures! and way to go, improvising with the grill...