Can I just tell you how much of a blessing from God Kaylee is. Let me explain.
I had the easiest pregnancy from the beginning. I did not have morning sickness, I was worn out but that is normal. At 33 weeks it all changed. One night, in the middle of the night, I woke up to really bad itchy hands and feet. I went down on the computer and googled it and it talked about high liver levels. I called my doctor the next morning and she sent me for blood work. Sure enough I was diagnosed with cholestasis. Basically my doctor said that it was sludge in my bile ducts. This means that acid was getting to my baby. The main risk factor: Still birth.
My sister did some research for me and found a website. http://www.itchymoms.com/ for those of you who want to read about it. The reason why I am bringing this up now, I just now looked at the website. Not that I did not appreciate my sister doing the research, it is just that she warned me that they is a memorial for babies who did not make it. I was not able to look at it until today.
I feel so blessed that God let me deliver a healthy baby and pray for moms who lose their babies at 33-36 weeks of pregnancy.
I am not trying to depress anyone. Just get the word out about this disease because with proper monitoring, even with being diagnosed with this, you can deliver a healthy baby.
Update: I have read through mutiple medical journals that there is a 70% recurring rate in future pregnancies and that this is so rare that it is only seen in about 1% of pregnancies here in the United States, but is slightly more common elsewhere. It also may be genetic.
2 comments:
Wow, Julie! I was so out of it (with stuff going on with my mom) that I didn't realize that this is why Kaylee came early. I'd never heard of this!
Is this something you have to be worried about with another pregnancy?
Nicole - It may be. I was very sad to hear about your mom and wish I could have helped in some way, but there was just too much going on at the time. If you ever need anything let me know.
Post a Comment