Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Growing Up

So last week I decided to start the weaning process with Kaylee. She has been showing signs that she was ready (not nursing very long, distracted, and other signs) and even though it is a little early I thought, I would go ahead and start but just take it slow. Well, I can't believe how great she is doing with it. I started by just cutting out one nursing time during the day. This started last thursday and I continued that same routine through sunday. She never even asked to nurse during that time and get this - she took a sippy cup of milk!!! This is from the girl who would never take a bottle or sippy cup of either breast milk or formula. I almost can not believe it.

Now, this week- starting monday, I cut out the other daytime feeding. I am currently only nursing her in the morning (and she is showing signs of not wanting to nurse then either) and just before bed.


She is a champ at eating good foods and drinking her milk. I can not find a fruit that this girl does not love. She is pretty good at eating meats and veggies too unless I put fruit on her plate then it is all over with so I have to save that for dessert at the end.


I thing the hardest one to give up is going to be the bedtime one. Kaylee has always been a great sleeper at night and so I think that one will be very difficult - probably for both of us!! I am in no hurry though, so I think for now I will just let her tell me if she wants to nurse to go to bed or not and see where that takes us until she is a year old, then we will see how she is doing.
I know I started this early and would love to hear from you if you waited until your child was one or did you start early also? Maybe they were showing these same signs, or different ones, or maybe you just got around them and continued until the one year mark. I would love to hear what you think or what your doctors have been telling you. This is another one of those debatable topics, atleast I think.

On another note: Do you notice the teeth in this picture. She is putting her bottom teeth in front of the top teeth while smiling. She also grinds her teeth at times during the day. My jaw hurts just thinking about it. I can't stand that noise. Can we say braces if she keeps this up? She will have major issues with her jaws.

No comments: